Leukaemia Foundation

Change Your Location:

Seeking help

Depending on your circumstances, you may not be eligible for benefits immediately but frequently benefits are back-dated to the date of application. So the earlier you make application, the sooner you may receive some relief payments.

Centrelink benefits are too complex for us to explain in detail here and the conditions and payment amounts change regularly. If you have employment to return to, this will affect the basis of your benefit. Your partner also may be eligible for a Carer Payment or Carer Allowance, so enquire about this too. 

When completing Centrelink forms it is very important to be accurate and to provide all the required details. Failure to supply all their requirements may result in lengthy delays in obtaining your benefits.

Leukaemia Foundation support staff are happy to help you with this procedure but it is your responsibility to provide full and accurate information.

Financial institutions

When you are unable to make your regular payments on your mortgage as a result of serious ill health, it is important to let the relevant organisations know as soon as possible. Most banks and other financial organisations have special arrangements for customers in financial hardship as a result of ill health.

It is preferable to write to the Head Office and explain your circumstances, giving details of your health problem and how the loss or reduction of income will prevent you from making your regular payments. Also ask for specific assistance such as suspension of your payments for six months. If you are not in a position to write then telephone and ask for the ‘Financial Hardship’ department.

If your mortgage is paid by regular debit to your bank account, make sure does not continue to debited from your account, once you have advised them of your situation. Otherwise you may find that money in the account you are planning to use for food and other essentials is still taken for the mortgage.

Similar procedures apply when you cannot make the minimum repayments on your credit cards or personal loans. It is always preferable to approach the lender before you become overdue. Most financial organisations are understanding when they are aware of your difficulty but once an overdue account is referred to a collection agency it can be harder to resolve.

More information on how to approach your bank is avaialble at: www.doingittough.info or the Australian Bankers Association Inc. at www.bankers.asn.au.

Local authorities

Most local councils will be tolerant if you are having difficulty keeping up your property rates. Arrangements vary between local government bodies, but many have a Rate Arrears Tribunal to assist ratepayers who are in financial hardship. As with other organisations, you are likely receive a more sympathetic hearing if you approach them before your account is overdue.

Your landlord

If you rent your home, don’t forget to speak to your landlord. Even though there may be no obligation to help you, you might be surprised at the consideration you receive when your situation is known. When your income is greatly reduced due to ill health, paying your rent should be one of your highest priorities as private property owners are not obliged to be patient regarding your payments.

Other sources of help

Do not hesitate to discuss your financial circumstances with your treatment centre or your private insurer. They may be able to assist with less costly options or advice on deferring payments.

It may be possible to draw some money from your superannuation fund to help with emergency payments.   Don’t forget to check if your superannuation has income replacement insurance as one of its features. If you are not sure give their helpline a call.